Thursday, September 05, 2019

Daily Devotional 09-05-2019


Good morning! May Adonai give you strength, joy, and peace today.

When I was a around five years old, I remember being promised a visit to watch the car races at the race track on a Sunday afternoon. That visit never arrived. I remember that realization that my trust in someone was misplaced. This started me down a path of automatic distrust of people. I learned that whatever anyone says, only believe it when you see it.

In John chapter 20, we see a disciple of Jesus who walked with Him for 3 years, who is known for His doubting. He followed Jesus. He obeyed Jesus. But he also learned to never trust what you don't see. In general, that is not a bad thing. One does not simply trust a stranger with the keys to one's house. There has to be a vetting process, some way of making sure they are genuine and not trying to steal.

Thomas was a lot like this. He questioned everything. He wasn't going to be led blindly by emotions and hearsay. This is a good thing. Paul even says to test the spirits and to search the scriptures to verify what a person says.

John 20:27-29
Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” Then Jesus told him, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

Most people read this and say that Jesus is chiding Thomas for doubting. I don't see that. I believe Jesus was saying to Thomas, "I understand that you doubt, and I have met you where you needed me to meet you. I love you. There is no need to doubt me or the words I have spoken any longer. Many blessings on all those who will believe, having never gotten to see me and hear me."

We may struggle with doubt, and that is okay. It is okay to question things. But even in the midst of doubt, we have to continue to seek God. Even in the midst of his extreme doubt, confusion, and mourning, he was still seeking God. Let us never stop seeking God, no matter what doubts we have. Jesus will meet us where we are, and He will give us what we need to go on.

-a brother in Jesus

No comments:

Daily Devotional 09-14-2019

Good afternoon, my brothers and sisters, fellow disciples of Jesus. Hebrews 10:19-20 says: So, brothers, we have confidence to use ...